In September 2002, Kvæfjordkake was named Norway’s national cake. The cake consisting of a rich sponge cake bottom, meringue and almonds, filled with velvety vanilla cream should be more than satisfying to your palette. Enjoy!
3 egg whites
4.6 oz sugar
2.6 oz butter
2.6 oz sugar
3 egg yolks
2.6 oz all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon vanilla powder
3 tablespoons milk
1.9 oz almonds, roughly chopped
0.4 cups vanilla cream, instant
0.8 cups heavy whipping cream
Prepare a baking tin about 30 x 20 cm with parchment paper and preheat oven at 350 ºF.
1. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form
2. Add sugar, little by little until the mixture is firm
1. Beat butter and sugar until creamy and fluffy (ca. 5 minutes)
2. Add one egg yolk at the time and mix well
3. Combine flour, baking powder and vanilla powder in a bowl
4. Add the flour mix and milk alternately starting and ending with the flour. Do NOT over-mix, just until the flour is combined.
5. Spread the batter evenly in the baking pan
6. Spread the meringue evenly over the cake batter
7. Sprinkle chopped almonds on top
Bake in an oven at 350 ºF for about 20 minutes, or until the meringue is slightly golden and the pin comes out dry when pierced through the cake. Let the cake cool in the baking tray for a few minutes.
1. Make the vanilla cream according to instructions on the packet
2. Whip the cream until it forms medium peaks and gently fold in the vanilla cream
1. Divide the cake into two parts, lengthwise or width-wise
2. Put one of the parts on a serving tray
3. Spread the chilled cream filling on top of the cake
4. Cover with the second part
5. Serve chill
Photo and recipe by: Créme et Cannelle